Potassium Metabisulphite is used
- in wine making to inhibit bacteria growth and preserves the natural colour and flavour of wine.
- as a food additive, a food preservative (known as E224), which preserves the natural colour of food and protects food against bacteria growth.
- in the brewing industry to inhibit the growth of wild yeasts, bacteria and fungi. This is called 'stabilizing'. It is also used to neutralize chloramine that has been added to tap water at the source.
- in the textile industry for dyeing and cotton printing.
- as an anti-caking and glazing agent.
- as a component of certain photographic developers and solutions used in photographic fixing.